On being a writer.
Writing doesn’t come easily to me, but I love it. I’ve got something to say and want to share it through written words. To keep up the writing momentum the voice in my head nags me. Its advice is loud and clear.
1. Writing is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. (Not original, but true.)
2. You can’t edit a blank page so write something. You can revise it later.
3. Write every day, whether you feel like it or not. Just write!
4. Read what you’ve written out loud. It’ll help you see the mistakes.
5. Keep notebooks of all your ideas. They’ll come in handy at some time.
6. It’s okay to hate social media, but use it wisely.
7. Read blogs and books about the craft of writing. They will inspire you.
8. You can’t write if you don’t read so always have a book on the go.
9. Read books in the genre that you’re currently writing.
10. Walk. The rhythm of walking gives the mind time to sort ideas.
11. When you don’t want to do it, sit down and write. You’ll sleep better.
12. Practice. It’s all about practice. You won’t improve if you don’t practice.
Is there a voice in your head inspiring you to write? What is it saying? Are you listening?